Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content
Home CCI > Client centre > Claims > Claims Process and FAQ's

Claims Process and FAQ's

We understand claims can be stressful. In order to make the process as easy as possible, we've provided a basic overview of our claims process below, giving you an outline of what you can expect at each step. We’ve also prepared some FAQs, to help you in the event of a claim.

If you have further questions, please contact the Claims team on 1300 655 001 (after hours, call 1800 811 285), or email us at

1. Submit a claim

The first step in the process is to tell us about your claim. 

In general, you will need to have the following details on hand when submitting a claim:

  • Your policy or client number

  • The name of the insured on the policy

  • A detailed description of the incident

  • The date of the loss, and the address where the incident occurred

  • Any details of any other parties involved (if applicable)

  • For property claims, we will also ask for proof of purchase and evidence of value and ownership at the time of the claim. This could be a store or credit card receipt, user manuals for recently purchased electrical items, or even a receipt for repair of the item. We suggest you keep all receipts or valuations in a fireproof container or area.

  • For motor vehicle claims, we will ask you to obtain a quote from your preferred repairer and forward it to use for assessment.

If you have this information and are ready to submit your claim, visit the Make a Claim page.

Make a Claim

2. Reviewing and processing your claim 

Every claim is different, but our aim at all times is to process your claim as quickly as possible. You can speed up this process by providing as much information as possible when you make your claim. While some claims can be processed quickly, other more complex claims take longer to work through the details.

Once your claim has been lodged, one of our claims officers will be in contact within 5* business days to update you on the progress of your claim and take you through the next steps of the claims process. You will also be advised the following: 

  • Your claim number
  • Whether any excess is applicable
  • Whether a loss adjuster or claims assessor is required, or to
  • Request any outstanding information required to finalise your claim
  • Whether a loss adjuster or claims assessor is required. 

For progress on your claim, or for any questions, please contact one of our Claims Officers on 1300 655 001.

* In the event of an extreme weather incident, timeframes may vary.

3. Organising emergency repairs – property and motor vehicle claims

Sometimes, emergency repairs are required. Emergency repairs can include:

  • Repairing broken glass,
  • drying carpet, and
  • any other repairs required to minimise your loss.

In the event of a damage claim, you have a duty of care to ensure the property is made safe. This can include cordoning off the damaged area, arranging temporary fencing etc.

If you're unsure about what safe repairs are required, or for after-hours emergency claim assistance please call 1800 811 285.

Arranging repairs to your property

It is preferred you lodge a claim prior to arranging any repairs and/or replacements.

CCI has a preferred supplier network that offers quality goods and repairs from authorised businesses. Our supplier network is supportive of your needs and can arrange any necessary emergency repairs, for example, glass or car windscreens.

You are welcome to choose your own supplier providing you obtain a fair and reasonable written quote. Please note: this quote will need to be supplied for assessment before you engage your own supplier.

In certain circumstances, a cash settlement may be available. Please contact the claims department to discuss your options.

FAQ’s regarding CCI's Claims process

Will an assessor be appointed to my claim?

This depends on the complexity of your claim. Sometimes it is necessary to appoint a loss adjuster to assist with processing your claim. You will be advised when you lodge your claim if this is the case.

In the event of a motor vehicle claim, a qualified assessor will assess the damage to your vehicle.

How can I check the status of my claim?

Please call 1300 655 001 to enquire about the progress of your claim. 

How are claims paid?

When settling claims, we may choose to reinstate, replace or repair any damaged item, or pay what it would have cost us to do so.

Please note; we're unable to pay extra to repair or replace an item to a better standard, restore the quality of your item to better than it was before the loss or damage, or fix a fault that existed before the loss or damage occurred.

What is an excess?

If you make a claim, the excess is the amount you have to pay for each incident. The amount and type of excess that applies to your policy is outlined in your policy schedule. We will deduct the excess from your settlement, or in some instances we may ask you to pay the excess to a supplier, repairer, or CCI.

Depending on the circumstances of your claim, you may be required to pay more than one excess. We provide a range of excess options, so the more you increase your excess, the lower your premiums may be.

Do I have to tell you my Input Tax Credit (ITC) entitlement on my insurance premium? 

If you are a GST registered business, you must tell us what your entitlement to ITC was for your insurance premium, under the Goods and Services Tax Act. The ITC percentage is the GST paid to you by CCI on your premium and for which you may be able to claim from the Australian Taxation Office.

Why do you deduct ITC entitlement from any direct payments to me?

If you are a GST registered business, we are entitled to reduce any benefits payable under your policy by any ITC that you may be entitled to under the GST Act. Once the premium has been paid, CCI will issue a tax invoice to you to support your claim for an ITC.

What happens if there's a dispute over who is 'at fault' in an accident?

When we receive a claim, we attempt to collect a full incident description from all parties involved in the accident, as well as any witnesses who may be available. Once we receive all the required information, we review all the circumstances surrounding the accident and decide who was at fault.

If you're unhappy with the outcome of your claim, you can raise this issue with use via our dispute resolution process.

Can I arrange repairs or replacement before I make a claim?

It is preferred you lodge your claim prior to arranging any repairs or replacements. We can arrange repairs and replacements from CCI's preferred supplier network.  This network offers quality goods and repairs from authorised businesses throughout Australia.

You may also choose your own supplier as long as you obtain a fair and reasonable written quote. Please note: this quote will need to be supplied for assessment before you engage your own supplier.

What medical expenses are claimable under the Student Care policy?

For full detail about Student Care insurance, please visit the Student Care information page, or download the Making a Student Care claim flyer claim and/or  Information Sheet

Student Care Information Page

Due to the Health Insurance Act 1973, we are prohibited from paying benefits on any treatment items that incur a Medicare rebate, including the Medicare gap.

A. Non Medicare Medical Expenses

CCI is a non-Medicare medical insurer. In most cases, the policy will provide cover for items such as;

  • Physiotherapy
  • Private hospital accommodation & theatre fees
  • Chiropractor
  • Dental
  • Ambulance
  • Massage
  • Hydrotherapy
  • Podiatry
  • And some MRI's and ancillary benefits

B. Medicare Gap

As CCI is a non-Medicare medical insurer, we are not permitted by the Health Insurance Act 1973 to provide cover for the Medicare gap. This means that in most cases, a service that is performed by a registered medical practitioner such as a Doctor, Surgeon, Anaesthetist, Pathologies and Radiologist will not be covered by the policy.

For example: 

  • Doctor's fee: $100.00
  • Medicare refund: $50.00
  • Medicare gap: $50.00 (the gap is not claimable under the policy)

What information should I keep in order to make a liability claim? 

Because legal claims for negligence can relate to incidents that occurred many years ago, you should keep records and reports of incidents where someone has been injured. By keeping documents that relate to incidents where liability may arise, you can help establish what really happened. Documentation can help an investigation by providing information such as how an injury occurred and the names of those who were there at the time. To avoid difficulties relevant documents should never be destroyed. If you would like to notify CCI of an incident which may result in a claim, you can do so here.



© Catholic Church Insurance Limited (CCI) ABN 76 000 005 210, AFS Licence No. 235415, GPO Box 180 Melbourne 3001. All rights reserved. The information on this website is intended to provide a summary and general information only to clients of CCI. It does not constitute, and should not be relied on as advice or considered as a comprehensive coverage of the topics discussed. You should seek independent and professional advice that is tailored to your own circumstances. CCI will not take responsibility for any loss, damage or injury to any persons incurred by the use of content contained on this website.