Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content
Home CCI > Insurance > Student Care FAQ's

SchoolCare Help

1300 138 498

Email us for more information

​Student Care FAQ's

Frequently Asked Questions regarding Student Care claims

What services are claimable under Student Care?

We can pay non-Medicare medical expenses*, such as:

  • Ambulance

  • Chiropractor

  • Dental

  • Hydrotherapy

  • Massage

  • Some MRIs

  • Physiotherapy

  • Podiatry

  • Private hospital accommodation and theatre fees

  • Some ancillary services 

Can I claim the Medicare Gap through Student Care?

No. Under section 126 of the Health Insurance Act 1973, CCI is prevented from providing any cover in regard to medical expenses for which a Medicare benefit is payable (including the Medicare Gap).

This means in most cases, a service that's performed by a Registered Medical Practitioner such as a Doctor, Surgeon, Anaesthetist, Pathologist and Radiologist will NOT be covered under the Student Care policy.

For Example: if a student breaks their arm whilst playing on the school playground:

Doctor's Fee = $100.00

Medicare Refund = $60.00

Medicare Gap = $40.00 (This gap is NOT claimable under this policy)

For more information about whether your expense is eligible, please visit the Medicare Benefits Schedule website.

Should I wait for the completion of treatment for my child's injury before I submit a claim and any non-Medicare related invoices?

No. As soon as you have completed a claim form and you have the relevant medical or dental certificate, the claim form can be submitted and we will process your claim. We will then forward you a letter acknowledging receipt of the claim and provide you with a claim number.

Any future documentation with regards to this claim can be forwarded to us quoting the previously provided claim number.

Can you reimburse my private health insurance gap if I've made a claim through my health insurer for treatment of my child's injury?

Yes. We can reimburse this expense as long as there isn't a Medicare component of the service. We can pay your gap for dental, physiotherapy, chiropractic and any other non-Medicare related treatment for which you have claimed through your private health insurer which relates to the injury your child has sustained*.

Please submit the receipt or invoice confirming the name of your child, the total amount for the service and the benefit paid by the provider.

Will you pay for emergency transport?

Yes*. Although we can only pay for costs relating to an injury your child has sustained as a result of an accident.

We're not able to pay for emergency transport in the event of illness where emergency transport was used to treat or transport your child.

For example:

  • Asthma attack

  • Fainting

  • Allergic reaction

  • Breathing difficulties

CCI's Student Care policy is only for injuries sustained as a result of an accident.

My child's dental treatment cannot be completed until they're an adult/have their adult teeth?  What do I do with regards to the payment of any future dental treatment?

There are no time limits on medical/dental expenses. We provide payment of dental treatment for the relevant damaged teeth up to an amount of $7,500. If your child still has part of the $7,500 benefit amount outstanding by the time they receive their treatment, we will be able to pay the outstanding amount. However, we will require a letter from your dentist verifying the particular tooth/teeth being treated, so we can confirm this is the same as the original accident.

Can I make a claim for tuition fees?

Yes. If the person who pays the nominated student's tuition fees dies as a result of an accident, we will pay the nominated student's tuition fees. Please note, tuition fee relief cannot exceed $15,000*. 

How do I know if my child is entitled to a lump sum benefit payment?

We will let you know when we receive your claim. Certain types of injuries may qualify for a separate lump sum benefit payment under the Student Care policy guidelines. In order to help us make this determination, please ensure you provide a medical certificate from the treating doctor detailing the nature, extent and treatment of the injury occurring from the accident when you make a claim. Please refer to the Table of benefits within the Student Care policy for lump sum benefit amounts. Call 1300 138 498 to obtain a copy of the policy or for more information.

You can now make Student Care claims online. PDF copies of the Student Care form are available here.

* Please note: CCI will pay out up to the limits, as detailed in the schedule and policy wording. Please refer to these documents for full details.



© Catholic Church Insurance Limited (CCI) ABN 76 000 005 210, AFS Licence No. 235415, GPO Box 180 Melbourne 3001. All rights reserved. The information on this website is intended to provide a summary and general information only to clients of CCI. It does not constitute, and should not be relied on as advice or considered as a comprehensive coverage of the topics discussed. You should seek independent and professional advice that is tailored to your own circumstances. CCI will not take responsibility for any loss, damage or injury to any persons incurred by the use of content contained on this website.